In addition to the project blog and other content on this website, the following publications have come out of the DigiPal project, either directly or through immediately related research. For other publications relating to computing and palaeography, see General Bibliography.
Monographs and Edited Collections
- English Vernacular Minuscule from Æthelred to Cnut, c. 990 – c. 1035 (Cambridge, 2014). [See further here.]
- Digital Palaeography, ed. by Stewart Brookes, Malte Rehbein and Peter A. Stokes (in preparation). [Accepted in principle for publication by Ashgate]
Journal Articles and Chapters in Books
- S. Brookes, D. Matos, M. Watson and P.A. Stokes, 'The DigiPal Project for European Scripts and Decorations'. In Writing Europe 500–1450: Texts and Contexts, ed. by A. Conti, O. da Rold and P. Shaw. Essays and Studies 68 (2015): 25–58.
- T. Hassner, M. Rehbein, P.A. Stokes and L. Wolf, 'Computation and Palaeography: Potentials and Limits', Dagstuhl Manifestos 2 (2013): 14–35. doi:10.4230/DagMan.2.1.14.
- Précis published in Informatik Spektrum 36:2 (2013): 196–98. doi:10.1007/s00287-013-0690-3.
- Reprinted in Kodikologie und Paläographie im Digitalen Zeitalter 3 — Codicology and Palaeography in the Digital Age 3, ed. by O. Duntze et al. Schriften des Instituts für Dokumentologie und Editorik 10 (Norderstedt, 2015), pp. 1–30.
- M. Maniaci et al., 'Table ronde. Applications actuelles de l’informatique à la paléographie: quelles méthodes pour quelles finalités?', Gazette du livre médiéval 56–57 (2011): 119–30.
- DigiPal Resource for and Database of Palaeography, Manuscripts and Diplomatic. https://github.com/kcl-ddh/digipal [Framework for analysis and delivery of palaeographical and related content online. Requires Django web server and associated libraries. For full list of contributors see the Project Team.]
Working Papers, Short Articles, Posters and Reports
- P.A. Stokes, S. Brookes, G. Noël, G. Buomprisco, D. Matos and M. Watson, 'The DigiPal Framework for Script and Image', Digital Humanities 2014 Book of Abstracts (Lausanne, 2014), pp. 541–3. <http://dharchive.org/paper/DH2014/Poster-193.xml>. Poster is available at <http://www.digipal.eu/media/uploads/uploads/images/blog_posts/2014/DH2014%20Poster.pdf> (3.9MB).
- B. Maher, K. Steinhöfel and P.A. Stokes, Automated Image Segmentation Methods for Digitally-Assisted Palaeography of Medieval Manuscripts. Technical report TR-13-02, Department of Informatics and Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London (April 2013). <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/informatics/research/techreports/assets/TR-13-02.pdf>
- N. Levy, L. Wolf and P.A. Stokes, 'Document Classification Based on What is There and What Should Be There', in Digital Humanities 2013: Conference Abstracts (Lincoln, NE, 2013), pp. 279–82. <http://dh2013.unl.edu/abstracts/ab-303.html>
- T. Hassner, M. Rehbein, P.A. Stokes and L. Wolf (eds), 'Computation and Palaeography: Potentials and Limits (Dagstuhl Perspectives Workshop 12382)', Dagstuhl Reports 2:9 (2012): 184–199. doi:10.4230/DagRep.2.9.184
- Matilda Watson, 'Using Norwegian Medieval Manuscript Fragments from the Period c. 1000-1300 to Study Ecclesiastical Connections between England and Norway', in The 15th International Saga Conference Sagas and the Use of the Past 5th –11th August 2012, Aarhus University, Preprint of Abstracts, edited by A. Valentin Nordvig, L. Torfing, P. Hermann, J. P. Schjødt and Ulla Louman (Aarhus: Aarhus University, Department of Aesthetics and Communication Department of Culture and Society, Faculty of Arts, 2012), pp. 55-5. <http://sagaconference.au.dk/fileadmin/sagaconference/Preprint-online.pdf>
- P.A. Stokes, 'Modeling Medieval Handwriting: A New Approach to Digital Palaeography', in DH2012 Book of Abstracts, ed. by Jan Christoph Meister et al. (Hamburg, 2012), pp. 382–5. <http://www.dh2012.uni-hamburg.de/conference/programme/abstracts/modeling-medieval-handwriting-a-new-approach-to-digital-palaeography>. Video of associated conference paper is available from <http://lecture2go.uni-hamburg.de/konferenzen/-/k/13954>.
- N. Levy, L. Wolf, N. Dershowitz and P.A. Stokes, 'Estimating the Distinctiveness of Graphemes and Allographs in Palaeographic Classification', in DH2012 Book of Abstracts, ed. by Jan Christoph Meister et al. (Hamburg, 2012), pp. 264–7. <http://www.dh2012.uni-hamburg.de/conference/programme/abstracts/estimating-the-distinctiveness-of-graphemes-and-allographs-in-palaeographic-classification/>
- P.A. Stokes, 'Digital Resource and Database for Palaeography, Manuscripts and Diplomatic', Gazette du livre médiéval 56–57 (2011): 141–2.
- S.J. Brookes and P.A. Stokes, 'DigiPal: Digital Database and Resource for Palaeography, Manuscripts and Diplomatic'. Poster presented at Digital Diplomatics, 29 Sept. – 1 Oct. 2011, Naples. <http://www.cei.lmu.de/digdipl11/posters-rep/stokes-brookes.pdf> [3.7MB]
- S. Brookes, 'The Shape of Things to Come? Variation and Intervention in Aldred’s Gloss to the Lindisfarne Gospels'. The Old English Glosses to the Lindisfarne Gospels: Author, Language and Context, ed. Julia Fernandez Cuesta and Sara Pons-Sanz (Mouton de Gruyter). 10,000 words
- P.A. Stokes, 'Computing and Palaeography in Theory: Some Historical Context for the Future'. Digital Palaeography, ed. by Brookes, Rehbein and Stokes. 8,000 words
- S. Brookes, 'Thinking Inside the Box: The DigiPal Framework and Its Methodology'. Digital Palaeography, ed. by Brookes, Rehbein and Stokes. 8,000 words
- P.A. Stokes, 'Rule and Variation in Eleventh-Century Minuscule Script'. Ruling the Script: Formal Aspects of Medieval Written Communication, ed. by D. Stutzman et al. Utrecht Studies in Medieval Literature. 7,000 words
- D. Matos, 'SephardiPal: Palaeography and Decoration of Late-Medieval Sephardic Manuscripts'. Proceedings of the International Conference on Jewish-Christian Cultural Relations in Portugal at the End of the Middle Ages. Lisbon, Portugal, Oct 31–Nov 1 2013.
The DigiPal team have now given a number of talks around the world, and some of these have videos which are now available online:
- Peter A. Stokes, 'Digital Database and Resource for Palaeography, Manuscripts and Diplomatic', Conférence-Démo series of the MutEC project (Mutualisation pour les éditions critiques et les corpus). Lyons, 25 May 2011. <http://25images.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/player/player.php?id=96&id_sequence=934>
- Peter A. Stokes, 'Modeling Medieval Handwriting: A New Approach to Digital Palaeography', Digital Humanities conference. Hamburg, 19 July 2012. <http://lecture2go.uni-hamburg.de/konferenzen/-/k/13954>
- Matilda Watson, 'Connections between Manuscript Cultures in England, Norway and Sweden, 1000–1100: Using Digital Tools to Study Scripts'. Research Student Seminar, Dept. Digital Humanities, King's College London, 6 February 2013. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpCyfexUkWo>
- Stewart Brookes, 'DigiPal: Just When You Thought it was Safe to Open Your Manuscript', British Library Labs Launch. London, 25 March 2013. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDrrz_ctVzs>
- Stewart Brookes and Peter A. Stokes, 'The DigiPal Project', Research in the Department of Digital Humanities, Research Student Seminar, King's College Lonon, 30 October 2013. The full video of all presentations is at <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTkLOGK5Uq>; the section on DigiPal begins at 0:29:30, the direct link to which is <https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OgTkLOGK5Ug#t=1779>.
- Peter A. Stokes, 'Objectivity and Evidence in Digital Humanities: The Case of the Missing Palaeographer?', Digital Humanities seminar, HUMlab, Umeå, 4 December 2013. <http://stream.humlab.umu.se/index.php?streamName=Objectivity_and_Evidence>
- Simona Stoyanova, 'Inscriptional Palaeography in a Multilingual Province: Background and Issues', Research Student Seminar, Dept. Digital Humanities, King's College London, 26 February 2014. <http://vimeopro.com/dighum/research-student-seminars/video/88754155>
- Matilda Watson, 'DigiPal to ScandiPal: Applying the DigiPal Framework to Eleventh-Century Medieval Manuscript Fragments from Scandinavia', Research Student Seminar, Dept. Digital Humanities, King's College London, 12 March 2014. <http://vimeopro.com/dighum/research-student-seminars/video/90019975>
- Debora Matos, 'SephardiPal: Between the Letters and Shapes of Sephardic Manuscripts', Research Student Seminar, Dept. Digital Humanities, King's College London, 26 March 2014. <http://vimeopro.com/dighum/research-student-seminars/video/91501211>
[Last updated: 21 September 2015]